Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Unnecessary drama

Personis Dramaticae:

The Little Empress (LE) - My youngest daughter
The Dreadful Bear (DB) - Mother of the LE and proof that I have historcally had utterly poor judgment in women.
The Red Queen (RQ) - My current partner, and proof that I'm starting to learn a thing or two.
The Older Daughter - The DB's older daughter and my next-best-thing-to-adopted daughter. I would crawl over broken glass for her.

So - I get a call last night from my ex, The Dreadful Bear, who wants to talk. Turns out her older daughter, 15, has abandoned (fled) her tender guardianship. Again.

The DB wants my support in making sure that the Older Daughter is prevented from contacting her little sister, and creating further rebellion in the ranks. I don't mention to her that the Oldest Daughter and I have already been in contact and that I know exactly where she is, and that I've already heard her side of the story.

"Let me get this straight - YOU want ME to help you keep the sisters apart?", I ask.

"Well, of course, I don't need both of them turned against me. I've done nothing wrong - I'm here for them every single day..."

"Except, of course," I say, "for the six months that you just ran away from them because raising them got too hard, you silly bitch."

*click*

It's only taken a decade (twleve years, to be precise), but I'm finally learning that everything, and I mean everything, she says is either crazy or a lie, or both.

To be continued, I'm so sure.

~

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ain't family fun?

Makes goat herding in the remote Andes start to look attractive...

Good luck w/ the daughters...

---

December 16, 2008 9:37 AM  
Blogger Meander said...

Don't think that I haven't taken a good hard look at the monastic life more than once.

They take non-Catholics, don't they?

December 16, 2008 9:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HEE!

Ask Prior Alred - he's an Episcopalean monk! (I was raised Episc. and I had NO IDEA that there was such a thing...)

Have 'em good one...

December 16, 2008 9:45 AM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Keeping your kids from getting messed up is actually hard work, the sort you do if you're a good person. Good vibes.

December 16, 2008 12:02 PM  
Blogger shrimplate said...

Teenagers can be difficult, but if they've already been traumatized by a, uhh, weird parent, then it's mindfuck city.

Gak. I wish I could do more than just validate your concerns. Good on you to making DB "own it," though.

December 19, 2008 11:15 AM  
Blogger Meander said...

The sad part is that there is next to NO chance that the DB will "own" anything. Denial is just about her reason for living.

Oh, FYI - She was named the "Dreadful Bear" by the Older Daughter.

December 19, 2008 11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home