Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Calling in Gay - I Didn't, But...

Seeing as I'm new at this state job, (less than a year), I chose not to call in gay today.

I regret that decision. I'm listening to these god-fearing Obama-loving women in my office, sneer and slur those who MIGHT be out today, all the while chuckling to homophobic remarks from being made on the air on the local black radio station, all the while unaware of the harm they are doing.

I regret that I was unable to make the statement today to support my brother whose partnership, a marriage truly, has lasted now the better part of twenty years, and who has adopted our niece after our sister passed away, and who is graduating from next year.

I regret that I was unable to make the statement today to support my ex-wife and best friend, who after almost two years in her own wilderness, has found her way back to her own lover, best friend and partner, discovering that they are both better together than they will ever were apart.

Equal rights for all under the law, is still a while coming. I will do more.

2 Comments:

Blogger dave™© said...

You're working a state job and you've got people in your office openly disparaging a protected class?

You could really cause some trouble...

December 18, 2008 8:33 AM  
Blogger Meander said...

Oh, sure - if I wasn't concerned with putting food on my family and all...

Conscience doth make cowards of us all.

December 18, 2008 8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home