Monday, May 19, 2008

"...Of the poor and the very poor alike..."

Professor Wagstaff : "Didn't Lisa Simpson describe the city bus as "the transportation choice of the poor and the very poor alike"?

I had a conversation with one of my bus drivers the other day (three each way), and I suggested they look into increasing frequency on the last leg - just talking, of course, drivers have no say.

His opinion was, "there's no increase without an increase in ridership"; my argument, "increase frequency and you'll increase ridership".

I mention all of this because Houston is an interesting case of a love-hate relationship with public transit. I don't know if we have MORE concrete here than anyplace else, but they are increasing I-10 to 18 freaking lanes. At the same time, they've hired George Foreman as a spokesperson to increase ridership.



A situation worth watching.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home